Friday, April 9, 2010

Swap Parties: A Fun and Frugal Way to Get New Stuff

I work at a large company, and it seems like all my friends are selling something on the side to make a little extra money. My desk can become clogged with catalogs for candles, cookware, makeup, purses, costume jewelry, trendy clothes, and candy. I could go broke in a hurry if I bought all their products!

Sometimes these items are given as gifts for special occasions, or are re-gifted to some unsuspecting coworker. So one day I was thinking...

Isn't there a better way to get some of this stuff, at a price I can afford?

A friend and I came up with the idea of having a swap party.

We could all get together and bring a box of stuff we would gladly trade for something else. Our trash could be another person's treasure. Their junk may be something I have been searching for.

We could even have a swap party around a theme like books, kids clothing and toys, or beauty products. Bring along some snacks, drinks, a few juicy bits of gossip, and let the fun begin!

What could be better than getting things without spending a dime?


Irene Helen Zundel is a freelance writer, educator and mother, and an expert in child development, home schooling and creative parenting and home making.
Visit her online at http://www.irenehelenzundel.com

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer, Reiki master, and educator, with diplomas in teacher's aide and child psychology, and numerous writing courses. I home schooled my son, who was born 10 weeks early and was expected to have developmental and learning lags. In 6th grade, he took an 8th grade standardized achievement test, and scored as a college sophomore in math and English. It inspired me to write a book, which I have given away for free! It is called Make your Kid a Genius, and can be downloaded at my website http://www.irenehelenzundel.com I am passionate about alternative healing methods; especially Reiki, aromatherapy, acupressure, therapeutic massage and music and sound therapy.