Saturday, August 21, 2010

Creative Frugal Lifestyle Tip-Join a Time Bank!

Do you ever find yourself in need of a service, but have no money to pay for it?

Ever wish you could learn a new skill, but lack the time or funds for a class?

The fun, creative and easy solution is to join a local time bank.

A time bank is a community group consisting of people who are willing to share their skills and talents with others on a flat exchange basis. For each hour you donate to helping others, you have an equal number of hours you can use for obtaining various services for yourself.

For example, I can research, write, edit, home school and tutor children, cook vegetarian meals, and am willing to drive others to appointments.

Maybe someone else does pet massage, can tune up car engines and plant an organic garden.

Another member knows how to can food, play guitar, sew, and do calligraphy.

A third person can make great homemade bread, knit, play piano and write music.

I donate five hours helping someone’s high school kid get ready to take the SAT. I now have five hours of credit. I could get my ferrets a massage, my car tuned up, a guitar lesson and learn the basics of canning, all without spending a dime! As an added bonus, I meet a lot of interesting, talented and giving people in my area.

To find, or start a time bank in your area, visit http://www.timebanks.org/ or put your city name and time bank into a search engine.



Irene Helen Zundel is a freelance writer, educator and mother, and an expert in child development, home schooling and creative parenting and home making. Visit her online at http://www.irenehelenzundel.com

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer, Reiki master, and educator, with diplomas in teacher's aide and child psychology, and numerous writing courses. I home schooled my son, who was born 10 weeks early and was expected to have developmental and learning lags. In 6th grade, he took an 8th grade standardized achievement test, and scored as a college sophomore in math and English. It inspired me to write a book, which I have given away for free! It is called Make your Kid a Genius, and can be downloaded at my website http://www.irenehelenzundel.com I am passionate about alternative healing methods; especially Reiki, aromatherapy, acupressure, therapeutic massage and music and sound therapy.